Tuesday, November 22

simple and delicious cranberry sauce

Welcome to my very first recipe post! Yes, also my second post of the evening; I'm trying to make up for lost time! Thanksgiving is the day after tomorrow... can you believe it?? This month has simply flown by, don't you think so? I thought I'd share my very simple and yummy recipe for cranberry sauce.

IMG_3815
Gather your ingredients! Oops, the orange peels got mostly cut out of the picture.

IMG_3817
Cranberries are just gorgeous little things. I used to eat them raw as a child and maybe I still do.

IMG_3828
Combine water and sugar, and bring to a boil.

IMG_3835
Add cranberries and orange peels.

IMG_3839
Bring back to a boil and listen to those cranberries pop!

IMG_3843
Reduce heat and simmer for about 12 minutes, stirring occasionally.

IMG_3850
If you're using a wooden spoon, it will be tinted a lovely color!

IMG_3852
After 12 minutes, the mixture will have started to thicken and turn a deep ruby red.

IMG_3854
Squeeze some fresh orange juice, maybe an 1/8 of a cup or so.

IMG_3857
Sprinkle some cinnamon, but not too much. That stuff is powerful!

IMG_3867
Allow to cool, thicken and become edible. With a spoon. No turkey necessary.

IMG_3844
Ta-da! Homemade, whole cranberry sauce, that was easy!

There are so many different variations you can do with this. Usually, I add chopped walnuts in with the cranberries and orange peel but since I'm making this for a variety of people who may have nut allergies, I decided to leave it out. We found out about the allergies the hard way last year, oops! I made double this recipe for tomorrow's thanksgiving party, so I hope it gets eaten! Otherwise, this bowl of cranberry and I are going to become very well acquainted. 


Simple Cranberry Sauce Recipe
(adapted from Smitten Kitchen)

1 cup water
1 cup sugar
12 oz fresh cranberries
4-5 orange julienne strips (reserve the orange)
cinnamon

Combine water and sugar in a medium sized saucepan and bring to a boil. 
Add cranberries and orange julienne and bring to a boil. 
Reduce heat and simmer approximately 12 minutes - enjoy the sounds of cranberries popping!
Turn off the heat and squeeze some fresh orange juice into the sauce, then sprinkle some cinnamon to taste - it should add a layer of flavor, but not be overpowering. 
Stir and allow to cool to room temperature before serving, and be sure to remove the orange peels. May be refrigerated for up to a week.

1 comment:

  1. Excellent photos, though it seems to be lacking some nuts. Hahaha.

    ReplyDelete