Wednesday, January 30

the end of breastfeeding.

It's been about four months since I gently weaned Iris, and she gave up nursing much more easily than I ever imagined. Although I was ready to stop breastfeeding by the time she turned two, I do find myself missing the connection and closeness that nursing gave us. I haven't spoken much about the weaning experience because honestly, it's just too personal.

It's been about four months since I gently weaned Iris, but she still occasionally puts her hand to my chest and lovingly coos "oh, my memes." Sometimes, she scrunches up her face and sulks for a few moments, staring at my shirt and mumbling, "memes go nigh-nigh."

It's been about four months since I gently weaned Iris, yet she has still begun nursing her own baby doll. She makes her baby cry "waaah!" and responds, "okay okay, come have some memes baby. Okay no juice. Okay time to go nigh-nigh, more memes."

It's been about four months since I gently weaned Iris, but nursing goes on.



1 comment: